29 January 2010

Shrimp primavera pasta

Until just a few years back, the word 'primavera' would have sounded quite distant to me...I mean where does pasta and primavera fit in with daily desi food like varan-baath (i.e. dal-rice), kolambi aamti (shrimp curry), right? My biggest leap by far for 'change-from-the-routine-ghar-ka-khana' would have been the North Indian palak paneer or rajma masala.

But coming to Vancity has changed all that, and definitely for the better. The city is one heck of a vibrant, multicultural cosmopolitan city and one of the best things it has to offer are the food joints scattered all across the city. Fresh, colorful produce at farmer's markets make food making not only enjoyable but also refreshingly healthy. And ever since our trip to Italy last year, we are all into healthy (notice the underline) pastas and pizzas!

Today I share a recipe of shrimp primavera pasta that I came up with one night when we were looking for a change from the routine and wanted to wrap up dinner with a quick, one-meal dish. The sauce turns out superbly creamy and the shrimp brings in the seafood flavour just the way we like it.



A warning before you continue reading: this is a cheater's recipe. I don't make the primavera sauce myself (use a store-bought sauce) but the end result is really fabulously creamy and spicy!




Ingredients:
15-20 medium zed shrimps, cleaned and de-veined
1 cup uncooked pasta (any type of pasta will work fine, I used the shell shaped one)
1.5 tbsp oil (olive oil works best)
1 small onion, diced
2 scallions (spring onions), diced
2 big cloves of garlic, minced
1 small green pepper, diced
1 packet Knorr parma-rosa sauce mix
1.5 cups milk
salt and pepper for seasoning


Procedure:
-Cook the pasta as per instructions on its packet (dont forget to add salt to the water) and set aside.
-Heat the oil in a pan and add onions and the scallions. Saute on medium heat till they turn transluscent.
-Add the garlic and saute for another 15-20 seconds until fragrant. Take care its does not burn.
-Add the green pepper and saute again for 1 minute or until they turn a little soft.
-Now add the sauce mix and the milk, whisk and stir well. Let the mixture cook on low heat for 3 mins. Stir once in a while. It will thicken considerably and turn creamy.
-Add the shrimp and let it cook on medium-low heat for about 2-3 mins. Take care not to overcook. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
-Remove from heat, garnish with the green portion of the scallions and serve.

Notes:
-I have tried a few sauce mixes and this one is by far the best.
-I usually dont add too many spices (the sauce mix is spicy enough for me) but dried oregano or rosemary would work well.

Ciao,
V

P.S. Do you like the new look of my blog? I had problems with my earlier template..like this one so much better!

12 comments:

Rujuta said...

Hi Vinaya

Lovely new look of the blog..i did a double take as I thought I was visiting someother blog by mistake..... But i really liked the new look
And the shrimp primavera pasta is very interesting and different.....I had not read abt it earlier.....thanks for sharing the recipe and the clicks look so tempting

Priya Suresh said...

Such a tempting and kids friendly pasta dish, my daughter will definitely love this tempting dish..

Malar Gandhi said...

Enjoyed this lovely dish only at restaurants, never had a clue to make one' at home...looks absolutely delicious:)

Rujuta said...

Dear Vinaya,

I have an award to share with you......Do collect it from my blog...... Heartiest Congratulations dear and Happy Blogging........

Aarti said...

Hey...
Nitin is a fan of pastas..especially with shrimps..i m definitely going to try this one!

the new look of the blog is nice...sober kinds..i liked the previous one more..it was hep.. :)

PJ said...

Vinaya, shrimp primavera pasta looks delicious. I usually make vegetarian version of it, very yummy.

Hayley said...

nice and lovely looking pasta...nice pic...:))

Vinaya said...

Rujuta,
Thanks so much dear, both for your lovely words and the award! Have been very busy with work the last fews days so didnt get a chance to say 'Thank you' :D

Priya,
Do try it out and let me know how you daughter likes it!

Malar,
Now you know how easy it is to make this one at home, plus it will be healthy too- give it a try!

Aarti,
Look out for the Knorr sauce mix I recommend in my recipe..it sure defines the dish

PJ,
Yup, am a big fan of veggie pastas too..but shrimp lends our much-loved seafood flavour to this pasta!

Jagruti,
Thanks so much dear!

Aparna said...

vinaya, first time here.lovely space.
pasta luks yummy..please do visit my blog too.http://ladiesspecialadukkala.blogspot.com/ will be visiting your blog from now

Namitha said...

Kids would love this..I use the store brought sauces too :-) It's way too easy when you want to whip up a quick meal..
You have a very creative space here and love the template too :-)

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Hi...my first visit here..even though it's store bought sauce still looks great and tasty too.

Sheetal Kiran said...

Ooooh, love the new look to the blog, Vinaya! Looks loveeerrlly! (Wasn't that some advert in India) I wasn't into pasta until I got to the US as well. But, I think overtime my palate has seasoned considerably more ... the shrimp primavera really looks as delicious, and creamy as you describe it! Per-fecc-toh ;)