Anyone a fan of citrus? I am. I just love the C-family: the lemons, oranges, limes! Their light flavours & aroma lend themselves perfectly for baking. Besides, I get tired of the regular cake flavours quite easily- choco and vanilla don't interest me any more so orange and lemon bakes always excite me!
Also, having a set of parents who belong to the 'vegetarian-converts-but-still-enjoy-cakes' family means that I am constantly on the lookout for eggless cake recipes. Remember the yummy, eggless rawa cake I shared before? The rawa cake has become a regular feature in my kitchen, much appreciated by everyone I serve it to. Over the last one year though, when I was pregnant with little V, I was craving oranges (no one will quite believe the amount of mandarins and oranges I have consumed in those 9 months....no jokes here but I probably ate up an orange orchard. R-E-A-L-L-Y!!) Anywho, the cravings made me look for any and all possible ways to add oranges to food. And thus, was born this cake.
Well, I did not exactly come up it. In fact, its based on Shammi's recipe here. Her's is a pretty neat version but I made a few changes of mine so that the cake is more of a eat-it-with-a-cup-of-chai cake rather than a rich dessert. I must admit both N & I love love love this cake. The recipe is an easy breeze and orangey flavour is spot on.
Today's cake is for my mum; HAPPY BIRTHDAY AAI! Now that I am a mommy myself, I have only begun to appreciate everything you have done for us. You have been an incredible mother all these years and now an even incredible-r grandmum. We are very very fortunate to have you- so here's wishing you the very best birthday today and many more in the years to come!
Eggless Orange Cake:
For the cake: (make sure all ingredients are at room temperature)
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar (see notes at the end)
1/4 cup yogurt
1 cup orange juice (I used freshly squeezed juice)
1 heaped tbsp orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze:
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp orange zest
3 tbsp sugar (optional- vary proportions as per your taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Celsius. Grease a 8" round baking pan.
2. Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and baking powder)
3. In another bowl, cream together the oil, sugar and yogurt. Add to this the orange juice, orange zest and vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to this mix; combine well and pour into the greased pan.
5. Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins or until the cake tests done.
6. Cool completely.
1. Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and mix all the ingredients (orange juice, orange zest and sugar) until sugar dissolves. Pour on the cake and let it cool for about 20 mins.
1. The cake tastes great even without the glaze. For a glaze-free cake, simply increase the sugar in the cake to 1 cup instead of 3/4 cup above.
So, dig in!!